Become an expert on LiDAR data and systems with this step-to-step course, starting from scratch
This video course gives detailed and broad information about how LiDAR systems works, their usability and interpretation.
According to Wanger et al, LiDAR is a growing technology used in environmental research to collect information about the Earth, such as vegetation and tree species. Earth observation images, acquired from satellites, have been used for years in earth monitoring. In respect to forest monitoring, satellite imagery does not contain information about tree height, diameter at breast height and stem density amongst many other important parameters for monitoring forest health at tree level. In the last couple of decades, LiDAR data acquired from airborne platforms has been increasingly used for forest monitoring, urban planning, archaeology, biodiversity and automated driving. Using this technology, the commercial forestry sector managed a 40% reduction of the expensive fieldwork that cost them millions of dollars annually.
Check out the curriculum for the detailed contents of this video course!
Enhance your knowledge of Earth Observation and Remote Sensing along the way!
- Lesson 2: How LiDAR systems work
- Lesson 3: Introduction to discrete and full-waveform LiDAR
- Lesson 4: Types according to the way they are carried
- Lesson 5: Types according to the way the pulses are emitted
- Lesson 6: Introduction to your first metrics (Digital Elevation Model, Digital Terrain Model and Canopy Height Model)
- Lesson 7: Tree delineation using the Watershed Algorithm
- Lesson 8: Further tree delineation approaches
- Lesson 9: Discrete versus full-waveform LiDAR data
- Lesson 10: Comparison of data collected using the Leica ALS50_v2 sensor
- Lesson 11: Echo Decomposition for peak point extraction
- Lesson 12: Voxelisation of full-waveform LiDAR data
- Lesson 13: Introduction to binary files
- Lesson 14: Discrete LiDAR LAS files formats
- Lesson 15: Full-waveform LiDAR LAS file formats
- Lesson 16: How to calculate the positions of the waveform samples
- Lesson 17: The Pulsewaves file format
- Lesson 18: Sample of available software for interpreting LiDAR data
- Lesson 19: Biodiversity
- Lesson 20: Forest health monitoring
- Lesson 21: Urban planning
- Lesson 22: Wood trade
- Lesson 23: Archaeology
- Lesson 24: Automated Driving
- Lesson 25: Multi-Spectral LiDAR
- Lesson 26: Atmospheric LiDAR
- Lesson 27: Bathymetric LiDAR
Learn how LiDAR systems work
Understand the differences between discrete and full-waveform LiDAR data
Learn how to tackle issues using LiDAR in various application areas
Gain an in-depth knowledge of various LiDAR systems
Acquire an understanding of many algorithms used for interpreting LiDAR data
Become aware of various available software able to process LiDAR data
Basic knowledge of Earth Observation (optional)
A simple laptop or desktop computer to watch the lectures
Under/post graduate students
Professionals and Companies
Master students and PhD candidates
Researchers and Academics
Based on Block-chain Certificates of Completion
After you successfully finish the course, you can claim your Certificate of Completion with NO extra cost! You can add it to your CV, LinkedIn profile etc
Available at any time! Study at your best time
We know hard it is to acquire new skills. All our courses are self paced.
Online and always accessible
Even when you finish the course and you get your certificate, you will still have access to course contents! Every time an Instructor makes an update you will be notified and be able to watch it for FREE
Remote Sensing Researcher and Software Developermilto_miltiadou@hotmail.com
Earth Observation Courses Bundle!Get every EO course we make FOR LIFE today when you purchase this bundle!
Geographic Information System (GIS) courses bundleGet every EO course we make FOR LIFE today when you purchase this bundle!
Google Earth Engine for Remote Sensing and GIS applicationsBecome an Expert on GEE. Extend your GIS and EO processing to a planetary level!